Language Arts - Middle School Curriculum Overview
- My Perspectives is a student-centered learning program where the class analyze text, cite evidence, and respond critically about language. The students take ownership of their learning through goal- setting, reflection, and demonstration of understanding. Each unit of study includes a selection of different genres and text types including multi-media that relates to a relevant insightful and inspiring discussion that explores different perspectives on these broad topics.. All texts as well as assessment notes, are available on the students online account and linked to Google classroom.
- Students will use Painless Grammar as a reference book for individual grammar support a copy is in the class for each student. Additionally, whole class grammar lessons aligned with the Common Core State Standards will be given during writing skills to help with literacy gaps in Edgenuity and to address individual concerns.
- The Edgenuity program is an innovative digital platform that is tailored to challenge students on an individual basis that is linked to their MAP testing scores. Edgenuity creates assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide insights to help tailor instruction. It provides students with leveled work to target their weak areas across the whole curriculum thus, providing them with an opportunity to fill in previous ELA writing and reading gaps and also challenging them with above grade level work.
- Google Classroom will be available on each student’s Chromebook. The application is also available for students to have on their phones and other devices.
- The Pearson Perspectives student textbook for all grades 6,7 and 8 is available through an online version of Pearson. This links directly with Google classroom and assignments, quizzes and ALL texts that are used through this program are updated for students.