Public School Process Information
How to register your child through the DOE for public schools admissions:
SSOH parents need to register their kids in person at a DOE Welcome center. You can find locations here and walk in. Based on some peoples experiences, please leave yourself up to 2 hours to complete the process. Also, please bring the following: utility bill (names need to match), 7th grade report card, drivers license & birth certificate.
Please see below the most updated information from the DOE:
MS and HS Admissions Timeline
- October 6: SHSAT Registration Opens
- October 12: HS Application Opens
- October 26: MS Application Opens
- November 17: SHSAT School Testing
- November 19/20: SHSAT Weekend Testing
- December 1: MS / HS Application Deadline
- Early March: High School Offers
- April: Middle School Offers
MS and HS Screening
- High School Admissions: top-performing applicants from across each middle school and citywide will have first access to screened high school programs. Learn more here.
- Middle School Admissions: The enrollment office will work with superintendents and communities to identify any schools that should incorporate a middle school screen. This information will be available when the MS application opens on October 26.
Upcoming Items for School StaffOpen Houses:
- MS and HS staff should plan on hosting open houses, school tours, and other recruiting events in the months of October and November, in anticipation of the December 1 deadline.
- Schools may hold virtual and/or in-person open houses. We encourage schools to create an open house plan that maximizes access for prospective families.
- Next week, we will invite MS and HS staff to upload dates of any recruiting events into a new events calendar in MySchools. This will be used by families participating in admissions.
- Please review our school recruitment toolkit for suggestions on holding events.
- All schools should prepare to support their 5th, 8th, and select 9th grade students through MS and HS admissions.
- Next week, we will invite school staff to register for trainings on the upcoming MS and HS admissions processes. We will continue to share resources for supporting families.
- MS and HS staff will receive information next week about registering interested 8th and 9th graders for the SHSAT.
- MS staff will receive information in the coming weeks about implementing SHSAT school day.